Sunday, February 22, 2009

Warren G. Harding Inaugural Address - God-Given Destiny

Warren G. Harding, our 29th U.S. President, said the following in his 1921 Inaugural address:

"...I must utter my belief in the divine inspiration of the founding fathers. Surely there must have been God's intent in the making of this new-world Republic. "...and promote that brotherhood of mankind which must be God's highest conception of human relationship. ... "But with the realization comes the surge of high resolve, and there is reassurance in belief in the God-given destiny of our Republic. ... "But here are a hundred millions, with common concern and shared responsibility, answerable to God and country. ... "I accept my part with single-mindedness of purpose and humility of spirit, and implore the favour and guidance of God in His Heaven. With these I am unafraid, and confidently face the future. "I have taken the solemn oath of office on that passage of Holy Writ wherein it is asked: "What doth the Lord require of thee but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" This I plight to God and country."

Read the entire address

No comments: