Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Patrick Henry - A Christian, Not a Deist

Many of our Founding Fathers were said to have been Deist or Theists. In most cases (documented elsewhere on these posts) such is not the case. One Founder who was aware of the label during his lifetime, Patrick Henry, wrote a letter to his daughter on August 20, 1796. He said:

"Amongst other strange things said of me, I hear it is said by the deists that I am one of the number; and indeed, that some good people think I am no Christian. This thought gives me much more pain than the appellation of Tory; because I think religion of infinitely higher importance than politics; and I find much cause to reproach myself that I have lived so long, and have given no decided and public proofs of my being a Christian. But, indeed, my dear child, this is a character which I prize far above all this world has, or can boast."
(see quote here...)

And you can find these words in Henry's will:

"This is all the inheritance I give to my dear family. The religion of Christ will give them one which will make them rich indeed."
(see quote here...)

No comments: