Monday, June 15, 2009

But Is He MY President?

I was somewhat surprised last night to see a car with a bumper sticker that said, "He's Not My President!" Frankly, I didn't expect to see that in this administration for a variety of reasons. Then I realized the sticker was an old one, presumably put in place during the Bush 43 Presidency. That was no surprise.

Let me say that I did not vote for President Obama. His policies as stated during the campaign were too far from the Constitution's authorizations. However, he is my president as much as he is the president of anyone who voted for him. Our government can not be formed in such a way that everyone is pleased, so many of us will live with disappointment. (With a little luck, those same people will be more satisfied with the administration next time around.)

I'm sure this frustration is not a new thing in our nation's history, except perhaps for its expression via bumper stickers. But it's important to respect and be thankful for the structure our Founding Fathers gave us. The more I study the Constitution, the more I marvel at the intelligence and inspiration that went into it. As I reread it I can't find anywhere that says the elected President is only President for those who voted for him.

Healthy opposition is a good thing, but we should not step over a line. (I fear I do so from time to time, but I'm working on getting better about that.) If I'm going to "preach" on this blog about respecting the Constitution, I need to hold myself to the same standard when it comes to accepting elections that don't go just my way.

In a sense, that's what I often talk about here. For example, if you don't think a prayer should be part of a graduation ceremony, then express your opinion through the right channels. Don't bend the Constitution to your preferences by saying such a prayer is unconstitutional. Accept what the Constitution actually says and means, and work within the system.

It's kind of the same principle, isn't it? What do you think?

No comments: