Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Charles Carroll, Founding Father and Faithful Christian

Because several voices today are proclaiming that most of our Founding Fathers were not Christian or even very religions, I am posting information about various of these historic figures to show a little about their faith. Today we're digging a little deeper into the words of Charles Carroll. He was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, was selected as a delegate to the Constitutional Convention, a framer of the Bill of Rights, and a United States Senator. Previously I have posted these words of Carroll:

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure...are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

But now let's look at words Carroll wrote near the end of his long life:

"On the mercy of my Redeemer I rely for salvation and on His merits, not on the works I have done in obedience to His precepts."
(From an autograph letter written by Charles Carroll to Charles W. Wharton, Esq., September 27, 1825. The letter is kept by Wallbuilders.com)

"Grateful to Almighty God for the blessings which, through Jesus Christ Our Lord, He had conferred on my beloved country in her emancipation and on myself in permitting me, under circumstances of mercy, to live to the age of 89 years, and to survive the fiftieth year of independence, adopted by Congress on the 4th of July 1776, which I originally subscribed on the 2d day of August of the same year and of which I am now the last surviving signer."
(Lewis A. Leonard, Life of Charles Carroll of Carrollton (New York: Moffit, Yard & Co, 1918), pp. 256-257.)

No comments: